Nodes that can you remove: Removing the node – will activate that ability for The Grandmaster and the Attacker
- Opportunist (Tenacity Path): The Grandmaster’s infuration time is reduced by 50% however his wounded state is also reduced by 30%.
- Technique (Bane / Dismay Path): The Grandmaster’s attack rating is reduced by 50%, however Token of Competence now stacks to a maximum of 8.
- Liablity (Rage / Polka Dot Power Path): The amount of Toke of Competence that can persist between fight is increased to a maximum of 10, however, the Token of Blunder require for Gameover is now just 3.
- Technique (Bane / Dismay Path):
- Inflation (Masochism Path): Attack Rating granted from each Token of Competence is increased by 50%, however, The Grandmaster’s attack rating is also increased by 30% for each token.
- Evalution (Lifecycle / Rage / Softguard Path): The first blast of The Grandmaster’s Special 1 is no more unblockable, but it gains +200% Attack Rating.
- Uncertainity (Mesmerize / Redoubled Determination Path): When gaining a Token of Competence there is a 20% chance to gain an additional Token, however, the Summoner can’t gain Power from any source.
Now let’s have a look at The Grandmaster’s base ability and all phases.
Make sure that you read all phases carefully, else you may have trouble in the middle of the fight.
Master of the Contest (Passive – Signature Abilities)
- The Grandmaster can only receive damage when struck by an attack, all other damage sources have no effect. Additionally, incoming hit damage is capped at 5% of his max health.
- The Grandmaster’s Power Bar and Ability Accuracy can’t be altered or reduced and his attacks can’t be Evaded, Auto-Blocked or caused to Miss.
Tokens of the Battlerealm
- Throughout the fight, each time the Grandmaster throws a Special 1 the Summoner will gain Tokens of Competence or Tokens of Blunder.
- At any point during the fight, if the Summoner reaches 5 Tokens of Blunder, the Grandmaster instantly gains his Special 3.
- If the Summoner is knocked out, up to 5 of their Tokens of Competence will persist into the next fight.
- Can’t be interrupted and removes all Tokens of Competence
Rules of the fight
- The Grandmaster has 4 Phases of challenge, entering a new Phase resets both Champion’s Power meter to 0 and removes all Tokens.
- After completing a Phase, the Grandmaster prepares the next Phase for 4 seconds, during this time neither champion will gain Power and the Grandmaster will be Indestructible and very defensive.
- After preparation is complete, the Grandmaster becomes Infuriated for 6 seconds before the next Phase officially begins. While Infuriated, neither champion can gain Power and the Grandmaster is Unblockable, Indestructible and very aggressive.
- Throughout each Phase the Summoner will have opportunities to push the Grandmaster to his wounder state.
- While Wounded, the Grandmaster is Stunned. During this time the Summoner gains +380% Base Attack, and +200 Critical Rating for each Tokens of Competence they possess.
- When the Grandmaster leaves his Wounded state, all Token of Competence are removed and the current Phase starts over.
Phase 1: Opening Gambit – Between 100% to 80% Health
- Both the Summoner and Grandmaster can’t gain Power.
- If the Summoner doesn’t make contact with the Grandmaster every 10 seconds they begin to Degenerate, receiving 412.2 direct damage per second until contact is made. This timer is paused during the Grandmaster’s Special Attacks.
- During this phase Each time the Summoner performs an intercept, they gain 1 Token of Competence.
- While performing certain Tactics the Grandmaster has a chance to announce a rule change, banning it from play. These Tactics are: Parry an attack, Use Dexterity and Land a Light Attack. Tactics can’t be banned while the Grandmaster’s Special 1 is prepared or while he’s Wounded.
- Once a Tactic has been banned, if the Summoner performs that action again they will gain 1 Token of Blunder.
- After all 3 Tactics have been banned, they are instantly unbanned and the Grandmaster prepares his Special 1.
- During this Phase, each time the Grandmaster finishes his Special 1 he becomes wounded for 8 seconds.
- Throughout this Phase, if the Grandmaster is knocked down while against the wall he becomes Unstoppable for 12 seconds. This will not trigger during his wounder state.
Phase 2: Transposition – Between 79% to 30% Health
- The Grandmaster becomes immune to all Stun Debuffs for this Phase and all remaining Phases.
- Throughout this Phase the Summoner can gain up to 1 Bar of Power.
- The Grandmaster gains 10% of a Power Bar for each hit landed by the Summoner, this amount is doubled if he is above 1 Bar of Power.
- Periodically the Grandmaster will assign a Challenge. Once assigned the Summoner has 10 seconds to complete the Challenge. Success grants 1 Token of Competence failure grants 1 Token of Blunder. Challenges are paused during the Grandmaster’s Special Attacks.
- Challenges are assigned at random. Completed Challenges can not be assigned again until every other Challenge has cycled once.
- Challenges: Whiff an Attack, Land a Critical Hit, Perform an intercept, Gain a Buff, Inflict a Damage effect.
- During this phase, after each Challenge has cycled one time the Grandmaster is Wounded for 7 seconds.
Phase 3: Zugzwang – Between 29% to 2% Health
- The Grandmaster gains 7% of a Power bar every second, this effect is paused during his Special Attacks however its potency is increased by 10% after each Special Attack he throws.
- Every 42.50 seconds the Summoner’s controls are reversed for 8.5 seconds, this effect is paused during the Grandmaster’s Special Attacks.
- Every 8.50 seconds a Challenge is issued for 8 seconds. Success grants 1 Token of Competence, failure grants 1 Token of Blunder, These Challenges are paused during the Grandmaster’s Special attacks.
- Challenges: Strike into Block, Perform Back Dashes, Perform a Knockdown, Stand Still, Perform Well-Timed Blocks. Each of these actions must be performed multiple times as shown in the fight.
- During this Phase, after every 5th Challenge the Grandmaster is Wounded for 6 seconds. While Wounded, no new Challenges will activate.
Phase 4: Checkmate – Between 1% to 0% Health
- The Grandmaster becomes Infuriated for 18 seconds. During this final countdown he is also permanently Unstoppable, however intercept attacks disable the Unstoppable effect for 1.2 seconds.
- When Infuriation ends The Grandmaster becomes permanently, Wounded for the rest of the fight and will only take damage from the Summoners Special 3.
All Special Attacks
- Remove all Passive and Debuff effects.
Special Attack 1
- This attack starts with an Unblockable blast, if the Opponent is struck, and stunned by this blast, all following actions result in failure.
- After the blast, the Grandmaster rolls a random combination of 3 actions which must be completed according to the icons displayed in
- Each successful action grants 1 Token of Competence. Failure grants 1 Token of Blunder.
- These actions involve: Blocking, Dodging or Getting Struck by the Grandmaster’s projectiles. Projectiles from this attack do not stun or trigger abilities that would normally trigger when struck, if the Summoner performs the correct action these projectiles also deal no damage.